What is Dry Ice Blasting?
Dry ice blasting is similar to sand blasting, plastic bead blasting or soda blasting where media is accelerated in a pressurized air stream to impact a surface to be cleaned or prepared. But that’s where the similarity ends.
Instead of using hard abrasive media to grind on a surface (and damage it), dry ice blasting uses soft dry ice C02 pellets, accelerated at supersonic speeds, creating mini-explosions on the surface to lift the undesirable item off the underlying substrate.
Although ice blasting looks much like pressure washing or sand blasting, the big difference is that dry ice is – dry. The CO2 is so cold (– 109° below zero) that it causes the dirt molecules to shrink, loosening them from the surface. As soon as the pellets hit the surface they change from solid to gas creating a molecular “blast” that pries off dirt, grime and paint.
Dry ice is a non-conductor of electricity so your power can stay on during the remediation process. We can clean your HVAC equipment and duct without extensive dismantling.
How we Use Dry Ice Blasting
Using traditional mold remediation methods we would have to sand and scrap by hand to remove mold and staining that is embedded in your framing or wood sheathing. These processes are very time consuming and expensive. Also it is challenging for us when attempting to reaching the small spaces where mold can grow. The best way to ensure mold spore removal from wood is to have Dryco blast it with dry-ice.
Following blasting we HEPA vacuum the dust particles and debris that has been removed from surfaces. No waste water, No chemical drainage No dust, sand or plastic beads scattered throughout the environment.
A fire can cause soot and smoke damage to metal, brick and concrete and charring to wood. This type of damage is unsightly and holds odor. Traditionally, the removal method has been sanding, scraping and wire brushing.
Blasting with dry-ice is one of the methods we use to remove soot and charred surfaces. It can reduce or eliminate the musty burnt smell in your home. Also dry ice provides an efficient removal of smoke damage even in the tight angles of trusses, around nails, wiring and all plumbing without damage to the surface integrity.
Dry ice blasting has many unique and superior benefits over traditional blasting media:
- Soft dry ice C02 pellets are made from food grade carbon dioxide that has been specifically approved by the FDA, EPA and USDA.
- Non-abrasive, nonflammable and nonconductive cleaning method.
- Environmentally responsible and contains no secondary contaminants such as solvents or grit media
- is clean and approved for use in the food industry.
- Allows most items to be cleaned in place without time-consuming disassembly.
- Does not damage active electrical or mechanical parts or create fire hazards.
- Can be used to remove production residue, release agents, contaminants, paints, oils and biofilms.
- Gentle enough to dust smoke damage from books or as aggressive as removing weld slag from tooling.
- Can be used for many general cleaning applications.
Dryco removed lead from original ceiling tiles at a historical renovation project called the Luyre/Empire Block in Superior, WI
We are very proud to have been a part of this restoration journey!